As it took a lot of time and energy to plan my trip to the Four Corners, I didn’t start planning my trip to Buffalo, New York and Niagara Falls until I returned home at the end of May. My plans include crossing the border into Canada, and staying two nights in Niagara Falls, Ontario. On one of those days, I’ll meet a dear friend of mine I knew in Oman who now lives less than two hours away in Waterloo, Ontario.
Leaving home on June 25, I’ll drive seven hours in a northwesterly direction, arriving in Buffalo that same afternoon.
I started planning by looking through the guidebook, Moon Niagara Falls. This guidebook includes sites on the Canadian and U.S. Sides, as well as information on Buffalo and Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Here’s my itinerary so far:
- Monday, June 25: Arrive in Buffalo. Explore Allentown and Elmwood Village.
- Tuesday, June 26: Buffalo – Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site Tour 9:30-10:30. Martin House Tour 11:30-12:30.
- Depart for Niagara Falls, New York: Niagara Falls State Park (Observation Tower & Prospect Point) and Little Italy.
- Wednesday, June 27: Continue exploring Niagara Falls State Park (Goat Island, Luna Island, Cave of the Winds, Terrapin Point, Three Sisters Island).
- Drive to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls: Table Rock Welcome Center and Brink of Horseshoe Falls, Skylon Tower.
- Thursday, June 28: Hornblower Niagara Cruises (8:30 a.m.).
- Meet Mona Lisa 11:00-4:00. Parkway North: White Water Walk, The Whirlpool, Lunch. Butterfly Conservatory.
- Lundy’s Lane. Walk some more around the Falls.
- Friday, June 30: Drive up to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Walk around the town. Drive home.
I’m in the middle of reading a novel set at Niagara Falls; it’s quite a hefty one at 512 pages: The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates. The story begins with a man committing suicide by throwing himself into The Falls after a disastrous honeymoon night. Most of the book takes place in the aftermath of this suicide. I’m only on page 250; it’s doubtful I’ll be finished before I go, but I’ll certainly take it along.
Of course, I had to make a playlist for the road trip: Niagara Falls and Buffalo Road Trip.
Here are my intentions for this trip.
“ANTICIPATION & PREPARATION” INVITATION: I invite you to write a 750-word (or less) post on your own blog about anticipation & preparation for a particular destination (not journeys in general). If you don’t have a blog, I invite you to write in the comments. Include the link in the comments below by Thursday, July 26 at 1:00 p.m. EST. When I write my post in response to this challenge on Friday, July 27, I’ll include your links in that post. My next post will be about preparing to walk the Frances route of the Camino de Santiago.
This will be an ongoing invitation, on the 4th Friday of each month. Feel free to jump in at any time. 🙂 If you’d like to read more about the topic, see: journeys: anticipation & preparation.
I hope you’ll join in our community. I look forward to reading your posts!
the ~ wander.essence ~ community
I invite you all to settle in and read posts from our wandering community. I promise, you’ll be inspired!
- Jo, of Restless Jo, wrote about her anticipation and angst as she prepared for her trip to Poland to visit her Polish family, followed by a planned trip to visit her daughter in Nottingham days after her return from Poland.
- Debbie, of Everyday Delights, has written about her upcoming trip to New Zealand, where she’ll experience volcanic action, an amazing train ride, the Mouri people, the Southern Alps and Middle Earth.
- Pit, of Pit’s Fritztown News, wrote about planning and preparation for his southeastern road trip. He and his wife Mary have a goal to visit states other than Texas by car and take their bicycles to ride rail and other trails. Their aim is to eventually ride 10 miles at least in each state.
Thanks to all of you who wrote posts about anticipation and preparation. 🙂