Winslow, Arizona is home to the American treasure, La Posada (“the resting place”) Hotel. The finest and most expensive hotel built in 1930 for the Santa Fe Railroad Co., it was designed by female architect Mary Elizabeth Jane Coulter, often called the “grandmother of American Southwest architecture.”
It is often referred to as Fred Harvey’s last great railroad hotel. Fred Harvey “civilized the west” by introducing linen, silverware, china, crystal, and impeccable service to railroad travel. He developed and ran all the hotels and restaurants of the Santa Fe Railway, eventually controlling a hospitality empire that spanned the continent, according to La Posada’s website.
Originally called the Winslow Harvey House, the hotel closed in 1957 due to the decline of American railroad travel. Used as offices for the Santa Fe Railway until 1994, it was doomed for demolition. It was bought and restored by Allan Affeldt and is now a luxury hotel.
“PHOTOGRAPHY” INVITATION: I invite you to create a photography intention and then create a blog post for a place you have visited. Alternately, you can post a thematic post about a place, photos of whatever you discovered that set your heart afire. You can also do a thematic post of something you have found throughout all your travels: churches, doors, people reading, people hiking, mountains, patterns, all black & white, whatever!
You probably have your own ideas about this, but in case you’d like some ideas, you can visit my page: photography inspiration.
I challenge you to post no more than 20 photos (fewer is better) and to write less than 350-400 words about any travel-related photography intention you set for yourself. Include the link in the comments below by Wednesday, August 15 at 1:00 p.m. EST. When I write my post in response to this challenge on Thursday, August 16, I’ll include your links in that post.
This will be an ongoing invitation, every first and third Thursday of each month. Feel free to jump in at any time. 🙂
I hope you’ll join in our community. I look forward to reading your posts!
the ~ wander.essence ~ community
I invite you all to settle in and read a few posts from our wandering community. I promise, you’ll be inspired!
- Ulli, of BANACTEE, posted about a place that no longer exists except in our imaginations.
- Pauline, of Living in Paradise…, posted some colorful pictures and funny stories about her visit to the Maleny Botanic Gardens and the Bird World.
- Jo, of Restless Jo, took some beautiful sunrise photos during a walk along the salt pans in Tavira.
- Jude, of Travel Words, posted a photo essay capturing the essence of South Beach – its architecture and palm trees – in Miami, Florida.
- Sue, of WordsVisual, challenged herself to take her photography up a notch by capturing implied motion, silhouettes, one person, and intentional camera movement (ICM):
Thanks to all of you who shared posts on the “photography” invitation. 🙂